Wednesday, September 24, 2008

McCain Suspends Campaign to Work on Financial Meltdown Fix

Sphere: Related Content

Quoth the Maverick:

Last Friday, I laid out my proposal and I have since discussed my priorities and concerns with the bill the Administration has put forward. Senator Obama has expressed his priorities and concerns.

This morning, I met with a group of economic advisers to talk about the proposal on the table and the steps that we should take going forward.

I have also spoken with members of Congress to hear their perspective.It has become clear that no consensus has developed to support the Administration' proposal. I do not believe that the plan on the table will pass as it currently stands, and we are running out of time.

Tomorrow morning, I will suspend my campaign and return to Washington after speaking at the Clinton Global Initiative. I have spoken to Senator Obama and informed him of my decision and have asked him to join me.

I am calling on the President to convene a meeting with the leadership from both houses of Congress, including Senator Obama and myself. It is time for both parties to come together to solve this problem.
He also asked to postpone the debate--a debate that is centered on his strong suit and Obama's weakest suit; foreign policy--this Friday. Obama demurred.

This is a nice political play by McCain as he himself has admitted that the economy is not something he considers himself strong on. Congress is not getting behind the Bush plan yet something has to be done to avert a financial Armageddon. There's a major split on this issue with some serious heavy hitters coming out in favor of the Bush plan.

Should McCain go back to the Senate and rally the GOP and some Dems behind a plan he supports, that could go far in allaying fears about his handling of issues related to the economy.

More at Hot Air.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Backfired.

Anonymous said...

Palin sure is sharp....

Couric: You've said, quote, "John McCain will reform the way Wall Street does business." Other than supporting stricter regulations of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac two years ago, can you give us any more example of his leading the charge for more oversight?

Palin: I think that the example that you just cited, with his warnings two years ago about Fannie and Freddie - that, that's paramount. That's more than a heck of a lot of other senators and representatives did for us.

Couric: But he's been in Congress for 26 years. He's been chairman of the powerful Commerce Committee. And he has almost always sided with less regulation, not more.

Palin: He's also known as the maverick though, taking shots from his own party, and certainly taking shots from the other party. Trying to get people to understand what he's been talking about - the need to reform government.

Couric: But can you give me any other concrete examples? Because I know you've said Barack Obama is a lot of talk and no action. Can you give me any other examples in his 26 years of John McCain truly taking a stand on this?

Palin: I can give you examples of things that John McCain has done, that has shown his foresight, his pragmatism, and his leadership abilities. And that is what America needs today.

Couric: I'm just going to ask you one more time - not to belabor the point. Specific examples in his 26 years of pushing for more regulation.

Palin: I'll try to find you some and I'll bring them to you.

Scott said...

I can't wait for this investigation to commence. Perhaps we'll see Dodd doing the perp walk and Jamie Gorelick parading around in convict orange jumpsuits.

The Dems are neck-deep in this mess and I say let it play out, let's hit Raines and all the other Obama cronies who took our money from these failed entities hard with ad after ad.