Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Massachusetts to Wal-Mart: Screw You (and after we do you have to use the morning after pill)

Sphere: Related Content

Wal-Mart is now required to carry the so-called "morning after pill":

The state pharmacy board ordered Wal-Mart on Tuesday to stock emergency contraception pills at its stores in Massachusetts.

Massachusetts becomes (sic--I guess the writer was so excited about this corporate setback that word were left out--ed) second state to require the world's largest retailer to carry the morning-after pill.

There you go; the death of corporate freedom in Mass. I, as a business owner should have the right to sell what I wish.

If I choose not to carry a product; that is my right as a business owner. If the public wishes to buy that product and I don't sell it, I lose the profit on said item.

I haven't even touched on the issue that this drug is indeed a contraceptive device; and a scary one at that. This is not the "morning after HIV vaccine" or the "morning after clap drug", but a retroactive birth control device.

How many new cases of HIV infection will occur because of the availability of this drug?

It's hard enough to get the younger generation--a generation that doesn't view HIV as a death sentence as us in our mid-thirties did in our teens--to wear condoms. This will make it harder.

BTW, the picture of the smiling feminists is a nice touch.

Update: Searchlight Crusade has a great idea:

I think that Wal-Mart's appropriate response should be to carry the darn thing - for five times the price of any other drugstore.

Exactly.

Also, Terri has some thoughts.

No comments: