Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Embedded Blogger

Sphere: Related Content

Local man and MilBlogger Bill Roggio is embedded with the 2nd Marines in Iraq:

"After getting attention from military families and those in the military, blogging became a form of service for me," says Bloggio, "a way to fight the war on the information front."

Roggio, a full-time computer analyst, started his blog in March 2004. He was unhappy with war reports that emphasized the daily suicide bombing or casualty count. Those were important, but he wanted more. He wanted context.

"I didn't feel the proper story was being told," Roggio says. "It was being said there was no plan. I saw that there was a plan to beat the insurgency.

"So I decided to strike out on my own and make sense of this. And having served [in the military], I felt I could give a perspective the media doesn't have."

One perspective from Roggio will be news to a lot of people in Washington and elsewhere: U.S. and coalition forces are winning against the insurgency.

Bill just recently arrived, I look to see what he has to say. Don't forget that Michael Yon is also in Iraq and has a nice photo-essay from Iraqi schools.

No comments: