Monday, March 21, 2005

Semper Fi, Bravo Zulu, Etc.

Sphere: Related Content

This is a post I meant to make yesterday but struggled with how to say it. I guess the best way is to just say it as I feel it:

The Sailors, Soldiers, Marines and Airmen have not only lived up the proud tradition of their military forebears but have exceeded them in awesome fashion. I know that may be a very bold statement considering what was accomplished in the Revolutionary War, Civil War, WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam and Gulf War I, but this is how I feel.

These men and women answered the call, despite a media onslaught that was beyond any precedent yet set and not only accomplished their mission in record speed but have essentially devastated militant Islamofascists who wish to attack us again at home.

To the reservists who were called and asked to leave good paying civilian jobs, I salute you. To the families of the men and women who were deployed, I say Bravo Zulu! To the men and women who were looking for money for college, suffered through bootcamp, made ends meet with only a pittance and barely adjusted to military life prior to shipping out I say: Thank you, one vet to another.

I have been on a deployment for half a year away from my beautiful wife. When I left, we had just visited Navy Relief for food (lots of mac and cheese and Dinty Moore beef stew as I recall). It was tough on me and her. A majority of the wives went home to whatever state they came from but not mine, she stayed in a town we knew little of but eventually grew to love. I was on deployment during the onset of Somalia operations and assisted the Pakistani's who were sent to that hellhole.

I want to say some special words to those families who've given the ultimate to their country, those who've lost loved ones in the War on Terror and those that are servicemen and been wounded: your sacrifice has not been for nothing. Your service is appreciated by those of us who've been there and done that. Did I ever sleep in a tent in the middle of the desert? No. But I know those who have and I know the daily challenges you've faced.

To the rest of the non-veteran world, this may sound like a corny post. Screw those who don't feel the admiration I do for these men and women. Those who talk of supporting the troops then turn their heads away when passing you in the airport can kiss my ass. You have inspired me and increased my already intense respect on a daily basis.

Again: Thank you.

PS: I noticed that a member of the Army stationed in Fort Bragg visited my site this evening. I say to any serviceperson who's feeling far from home; feel free to contact me via e-mail @ sswenviron@comcast.net if you wish to discuss NCAA basketball, the latest music or anything in between, I'll always make time since I remember being in your boots.

1 comment:

Dave Justus said...

Very well said Scott.

I have never served in the armed forces, but my admiration for those who have is great. We owe all our vetrans an immense debt.

I agree with your that our Military Personnel today are a good as any we have ever seen.