Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Current State of California

Sphere: Related Content

Anyone who had read this blog for awhile knows that I lived in California for a decade while serving in and after discharge from the US Navy. I love the state and most everything about it.

When I lived here, it was during the Pete Wilson years and the economy was strong, jobs were well-paying and spending was mostly in check. Now, not so much.

In the wake of the Grey Davis recall and subsequent Terminator win, things were looking rosy; here we had a popular Republican coming to right the wrongs of the misguided liberal who destroyed the state. If not a social conservative, Arnold was believed to be a fiscal one. That was a falsehood.

Now, walking around and talking with people yesterday, it seems there's a palpable fear that things are going to implode. I'm in the state capitol and I'm not seeing the usual crowds at movie theaters and restaurants that one always sees in the Golden State. Taxes are skyrocketing and businesses are leaving for more tax-friendly environs.

I know it's anecdotal but it felt real. For what it's worth, that was my first impression yesterday.

No comments: