Friday, February 29, 2008

Friday Night Music--Aussie Edition

Sphere: Related Content

In honor of this site bringing in an Aussie, we dedicate tonight to Aussie music.

The Aussies have given us good, bad and so-so. I'll show all three types.

Welcome Dan.

First we have a great band that melded blues with metal and had a singer whose voice sounded like he gargled with broken glass. I've always loved Angus who never was the greatest but made great music with the abilities he possesses. Bon Scott was a one-of-a-kind rock singer who flamed out way too early.



Next we have a song that any guy of my age remembers fondly. When the The Divinyls I Touch Myself came on MTV, a testosterone-filled boy would definitely stand up and pay attention. We just prayed that Mom wouldn't walk in the room while it was on and doubly prayed she didn't actually make us get up and take out the garbage if you know what I mean:



Next we have a video that essentially introduced many Americans to Australia rightly or wrongly. Men at Work, a band I'm sure that Aussies regret:



Finally, a band that rocks and is the new sound of Australia. Jet makes a gaggle of music for the amount of dudes in the band and will have a long career I suspect. They remind of Blink 182 with the energy they project. I've never seen Jet but friends have and they say live they are an amazing bar band that has to be seen to be appreciated. Here's a 2004 live edition of Are You Gonna Be My Girl from Japan:



I couldn't bring myself to post Peter Garrett and Midnight Oil. Garrett jumping around always made me think his friggin' head was going to pop off. Judging by his politics, it might not have been such a bad thing. I also will not post other noted Aussie acts like Helen Reddy and the Bee Gee's. Why embarrass our new friend?

But I will post this other Aussie who gave a whole generation of us young Americans a woody:

No comments: