Sunday, November 11, 2007

Veterans Day Thoughts

Sphere: Related Content

On the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month, the first "war to end all wars" ended. Since then, we have fought another world war, wars in Korea and Vietnam, two wars against an oppressive dictator in Iraq and several smaller batles from Mogadishu to Panama City. In all of those circumstances, those who were asked to fight for our nation did without much complaint and knowing that they could pay the ultimate price. They are the American Soldier, Sailor, Marine and Airman.






As a US Navy veteran, I have seen the personal and physical struggles these men and women have faced. The time away from family, hoping the mortgage gets paid, hoping your marriage survives and focusing on your job in spite of all that. Imagine if you were told you'd have to leave your home and family for a year and go to the desert to fight an enemy of America, could you do it? These men and women have and continue to do just that to support the nation they love.











Even if you are thinking to yourself, no, I couldn't leave my home and go to war, that's fine. It takes a diferent breed of person to serve in the military. I never thought less of anyone for not serving, the military is not for everyone and believe me, if you weren't cut out for it, we didn't want you there. That's why the "chickenhawk" garbage the left spews on a regular basis is so inane. All I ever asked and all those serving now ask is that you support them and their mission. Whether you give to the USO or other service organizations or even simply send a letter telling them thanks, it's all they ask.


So today, please take a moment to thank a vet. If you know someone who served, give them a call and tell them that you appreciated their service and the sacrifice they've made. It may sound corny but to the vet it will mean alot. regardless of where you fall ideologically, these men and women are putting it all on the line every single day. They are fighting for your right to dissent if you so wish.


I feel I can speak for all those serving and those who are veterans:


I served for everyone in America; black, white, yellow, gay, straight, rich poor and even for the ones who hate me to their very soul because I was serving for them. You can call me a "baby killer" or spit on me as I walk by in my uniform, but in your ignorance know this, I am out there on the front lines continuing to keep you safe from those who wish you dead. Perhaps take a moment to think about that and maybe the realization will alleviate some of your hate. If not, we'll still be there for you.

Update: Instalanche! Thanks Glenn. Here's a post military-related concerning China and their sub supposedly surprising a US Navy Carrier Task Force near Taiwan.
Update 2: Charles Johnson linked as well. Thanks, buddy. He notes that Google finally got around to honoring veterans. I guess if you keep up the pressure long enough, they have to respond.

No comments: