Thursday, May 18, 2006

Immigration Debate

Sphere: Related Content

Dave Justus:

There is an ugly strain of racism in the Republican party, and that deeply saddens me. I don’t think more Republicans share this view, but it is there, and I think that those of us who don’t share it need to make a stand against it.

While I agree there are some in the Republican party that are xenophobic, I also think that the main issue is the deep desire to seal the borders and deal with the other issues such as amnesty and worker rights later. Republicans as a bloc are growing more tired of this debate and it is manifesting itself as anger at not only President Bush but illegal immigrants in general.

The Democratic party has their own race issues with Mexicans and South Americans. The unions look at them as lowering their pay scale and stealing their work and they are a huge force within the party.

I haven't made my views that known with regard to this debate because I have a bit of sympathy towards the Mexican population. I lived five miles from the San Ysidro border crossing and had the pleasure of being friends with many Mexican immigrants.

They wish the same things we all do; good education, steady work and a nice home to live in. They are a vibrant part of our culture. That said, I have serious issues with their lack of desire to assimilate.

My opinion is that we must first secure the border access for the entire length. We should allow those here the opportunity to make their case for staying. If they can't make a good case and meet certain criteria, they will be immediately deported. Next we should ensure that all illegal immigrants pay their fair share of taxes and a fund should be established in conjunction with Mexico to pay for needs such as healthcare and prison costs associated with those convicted of crimes. It is not fair for Americans to pay for someone who broke our laws, period.

Lastly, any person convicted of smuggling illegals into the country should be sent to an American prison for the length of their term and then deported to their country of origin. A second conviction means 20-years mandatory.

The Mexican government must be made to enforce their side of the border or face heavy sanctions.

Again, I don't see it as institutional racism, I see it as anger that happens to be directed at illegals.

No comments: