Monday, April 03, 2006

J-Roll Extends to 37 & Baseball's Back

Sphere: Related Content


Jimmy Rollins hit a clutch double to extend his hitting streak to 37 games. He was up 3-0 and Manager Charlie Manuel gave him the green light. Jimmy ripped the ball down the line past Pujols and my son and I high-fived. Here's the story:

PHILADELPHIA -- Jimmy Rollins extended his hitting streak to 37 games with an eighth-inning double, but the Phillies endured a 13-5 loss to the Cardinals on a rainy, chilly Opening Day on Monday at Citizens Bank Park.

Other than Rollins' late-inning excitement, it was an afternoon in which little worked in Philadelphia's favor. Jon Lieber's spring struggles extended in earnest, the bullpen had no band aids, and the offense couldn't climb out of the hole dug by Lieber against Chris Carpenter, the reigning National League Cy Young Award winner.

Lieber got shelled, which is not a good thing. The offense however looked good as the Phils rattled off 14 hits with five players with more than one hit. It all comes down to pitching.

I meant to link to this before. Tom Verducci wrote one of the best baseball pieces I've read in years. Instead of harping on the bad in baseball (read Barry Bonds), he focuses on the young player resurgence and the comeback of my favorite sport. If you are a fan, or even if you aren't, it's worth a read.

I coached my boys teams yesterday in a select league of ten year old teams from south Jersey. The sun was shining and the field was dusty and the boys played hard. It was pure baseball. It was heaven.

I love the spring and I love baseball.

Photo courtesy of this site.

No comments: