Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Wal-Mart, Bloggers and Transparency

Sphere: Related Content

The NY Times has an article today about Wal-Mart--or at least their consultants--sending out information via e-mail to various bloggers that explains their side of the issues. The Times has their panties in a big old wad about it when they've been representing undisclosed liberal groups for years in a much wider format.

I receive these e-mails on a regular basis, but do not post information from them. The reason I received the e-mails in the first place was because I defended Wal-Mart from the all-out attack from unions. Manson contacted me and asked if he could send info and I agreed.

I for one am not a fan of talking points on either side. The opinions expressed on this blog are mine and mine alone, not dictated by the latest spin from anyone. In short; I read, research and form an opinion.

That is not to say that I don't agree with Wal-Mart on the many issues they face; it is to say that I will not quote their talking points verbatim.

I think this is an effective strategy developed by Wal-Mart--utilizing Technorati to see who's writing good things about your company and then including them via e-mail in the daily developments is smart. That said, any blogger who quotes the e-mails and neglects to inform his readers is breaking the unwritten blogger code.

Ace has more as does Shel.

No comments: