Thursday, February 16, 2006

3 Year Blogiversary

Sphere: Related Content

Well all, today marks the third anniversary of Environmental Republican. If you look at my first post, it is dated February 22, 2003. However, I posted several posts prior to that that were deleted because I thought the quality was horrible. Those two posts remain the only two posts I've ever deleted, and they were both about environmental issues but just seemed horribly written at the time. I stuck with the environmental meme for several of my initial posts including this one, which I still like.

I soon ventured into politics, including my first straight political post. A post that was about Dennis Kucinich and included a reference to a great blogger with the pseudonym Juan Gato:

Dennis Kucinich has switched from being anti-abortion to pro-choice. In other news; the Pope has converted to Judaism, Robert Byrd switched his name on his buildings, bridges, and highways with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., and Juan Gato has become a 12-stepper.

The link to Juan Gato's website is dead but the spirit of his blog lives on.

I also included in the first week links to a guy who made me want to blog and the first site I go to in the morning to this day--Tim Blair. Cheers Tim.

Our trip down memory lane continues with my post describing me and linking to a long dead website that I created when I thought I was running for Town Council. I also "fisked (rather poorly looking back) Paul Krugman but did have a good line or two referencing Howell Raines. Has anyone in hindsight been proven more wrong about the economy than Krugman?

I chose to blog more in the vein of Glenn Reynolds and Charles Johnson--two men who can say alot in few words. I've been successful every so often on that front. They are probably the two I've linked to more than any other.

During this last three years I've been linked to by the three mentioned above (including and Instalanche and Lizardlanche in the same week), INDC Bill, Cap'n Ed, PJ's Media, Newsweek, MSNBC's Connected Coast to Coast, Right Wing News, Greyhawk, The Commissar and numerous other bloggers on the left and right. No link from Jeff Goldstein or Michelle Malkin but one hope.

(Update: 2/17 0700) Be careful for what you wish. Thanks Jeff.

Anyway, thanks to all my blogger sisters and brothers including:

The Watcher
Terri
Dave Justus
Cardinal Martini
The lovely Kate (my blogchild)
Fred Fry
The Good Lieutenant
Scott at POV (who needs to blog much more often)
The Garnet Donkey Gang at Swarthmore College
The Liberal Avenger (the eternal debate continues)
MiniPundit (who I've been brutal towards)
Anyone I've forgotten, please forgive me but you are appreciated.

Anyway, on looking back on the 3,545 posts (wow, that's 3.24 per day) prior to this one, I can honestly say this:

Some were good, some I thought were great, some were decent and turned out to be horribly misguided, some started out looking prescient and ended up looking idiotic and some just sucked from the very beginning but I live by the bloggers code of not deleting anything (except for the first two posts but they weren't political and linked to the EPA website), just making corrections.

Thanks to all who've made this blog--my release and source of entertainment--what it is today. Because of this blog I know what the TTLB Ecosystem is, I type in "te" on the url address bar and it knows I want to access Technorati and Memeorandum and Lucianne.com have more information than any human could hope to comprehend and to a blogger are indispensible.

Lastly, I want to say that I appreciate the commenters who don't have a blog but read me and leave their thoughts. To them In say: start a blog and e-mail me, I'll link to you because your opinion is as important as anyone elses.

Here's to another three years (unless my beautiful wife just can't take it anymore and smashes my laptop with a hammer or my head).

Thanks all.

No comments: