Tuesday, December 06, 2005

USS Schenectady RIP

Sphere: Related Content


When I was in the Navy, I served on a tank landing ship named the USS Schenectady (LST-1185). I was there right before they decommissioned the old boat and had heard that talks were under way to sell the ship to another nation.

Instead, they moth-balled her and she met her end the way she rode...with a middle finger to the sky (aimed at the Air Force). I was e-mailed the link to a site commemorating this good ship which documents her life and death.

Go here and read about the "smart bomb" testing they did that destroyed the old girl during Operation Resultant Fury. Pretty amazing stuff.

I made alot of friends on that boat and keep in touch with them to this day. Alot of good men (and a few women towards the end) served aboard her.

Thanks to "Toto" for putting the site together and I will include the link in my blogroll at the right.

Update: Phin has some thoughts on what to do with moth-balled ships. Although blowing them up is cool, disaster relief would serve a better purpose.

No comments: