Sunday, July 24, 2005

Setting Things Straight

Sphere: Related Content

I'm a big believer in the power of blogs in the national debate. Bloggers are different from the MSM because we are aware that what we write has consequences and if we make a mistake, we rectify it as soon as possible.

That said, I recently left a comment at the Huffington Post in response to a post by Paul Rieckhoff that demeaned him for not serving and slamming the military in his post. I read the bio of the poster and somewhere between reading and commenting, I believed that he had never served in the military. I was thinking of a bio from another Huffington Post blogger.

Well, Paul did serve, and very admirably at that. I received an e-mail from Mr. Rieckhoff's friend and co-blogger, Jeremy Broussard. The entire e-mail is printed here with the exception of some cut and pasting Mr. Broussard added from the original post. I did not edit anything:

For your information, Scott, Paul and I are both veterans of the Iraq War. Paul Rieckoff was an infantry officer and platoon leader patrolling the streets of Baghdad with the NY Nat. Guard in 2003-2004. I was a field artillery officer serving in Kuwait and southern Iraq in 2003. We do know what we speak of.

The point of Paul's piece is that if the administration and its apologists spent as much time, money and effort forming effective policies for Iraq and the Middle East (diplomatic AND military) as they do on spin and outright propaganda, we'd be in a better situation.And hee's right: we DO need more leaders, not salesman. Bush's response to the dwindling public confidence in his leadership and the mission in Iraq this summer was to do a better job "selling" the war... that's an indication of an administration out of touch with the realities of winning Iraq or the war on terrorism.

But I found your comments "You know nothing of what it takes to be a soldier or sailor" to be ignorant, insulting to Paul's service, and counter-productive and I wanted to set the record straight.FYI... check out www.Optruth.org and you'll hear a lot of unfiltered comments from real veterans--Iraq veterans--and not chickenhawk cheerleaders here at home.

Jeremy Broussard
Fmr. Captain, U.S. Army

Again, apologies with regard mistakenly noting that you had not served. As you may notice, I commented within 4 minutes that I'd made a mistake and offered up additional comments.

The issue I now have is that Mr. Broussard knows full well that part of any military campaign is propaganda. The Army has used it since the Revolutionary War.

The difference between now and any other military action (with the probable exception of Vietnam) is the press are doing everything in their power to discredit this war and those who are prosecuting it. As a consequence, they've demeaned the good men and women who have served or are serving currently. The press is not giving a balanced assessment of the war.

Worse than that, the MSM is not portraying the war as one step in the wider war against radical Islam and global terror. It is a major portion of that war, and that war will go on for years if not decades.

The American people re-elected Bush knowing full well that we were engaged in Iraq for the foreseeable future. They have spoken and that is democracy in action.

I will link to your site and read it regularly to see what the returning soldiers and Marines are saying. I will also continue to write about what I feel is really happening in Iraq and Afghanistan, with insight from friends who have served in both theaters.

I respect the fact that you served and as one vet to another feel bad that I commented in error. Thanks for serving.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm confused. How is Iraq one step in the wider war on terror? I'm assuming you mean an effective step, or is effectiveness another question? The reason I bring the topic up is that the Army itself says that for every terrorist we kill, we create 3. I'm guessing you want to stay away from pragmatics because you can't seriously argue that the Bush administration has been effective in Iraq. Start with the inability to provide our GI's with needed armor and supplies; GI used to mean government issue. Now I find myself sending basics like underwear to our troops in Iraq. Then tell me about the infrastructure problems. When you've spun those, I have more.

As to the democracy part, it's a stretch to say that Bush would have been elected if we knew in 2004 what we know now. Does the DSM ring a bell? How about evidence that we had bin Laden in Tora Bora but didn't have the resources to get him.

One final question, what about the administration's lack of support. You speak fondly of propaganda. Where are the Uncle Same wants you posters. Where are the exhortations to sign up and fight? Where are the young republicans streaming to sign up? Where are the children and grandchildren of the war boosters? And most repugnant of all, where is the call for sacrifice. The spoiled brat in the WH (the POTUS) told us from the start that our job was to shop until we drop. He can't ask us to sacrifice, because he has never in his life been asked to sacrifice.

Before you slime me, yes I served. I support the troops by regularly expressing my views that the war in Iraq makes us less safe and is destroying the fiber of our armed forces. I gave up cable TV to keep Fox out of my house. I spend the money I save on supplies for the troops. I have written letters to the editor asking my red state neighbors to start spending their money on support of the troops. I must have asked the wrong way, because the local organizations I pointed my neighbors to saw no increase in activity.

By the way, what are you doing to support the war other than blogging ? Blogging is cheap. While at OpTruth.com, did you look at the different ways to support the troops financially? Are you buying phone cards for them? Sending money to their familes at home? Buying flashlights for the police we are training in Iraq? School supplies for Iraqi children? When you look at all our troops need but aren't getting, you're looking at a list of things Haliburtin hasn't found a way to profit from.