Tuesday, March 25, 2003

Sphere: Related Content

I like Tom Friedman (or is it Daniel?), I've read From Beirut to Jerusalem so many times I can't count. I believe that Tom lived and worked among the Arabs so long that he really believes they can be a great power for good, but break his heart everytime they go against that. Tom writes a good article but can't get away from the "US is acting unilaterally" kick.

For now, though, Europeans are too stunned by this massive exercise of unilateral U.S. power to think clearly what it's about. I can't quite put my finger on it, but people here seem to feel that a certain contract between America and the world has been broken. Which is why so much is riding, far beyond Iraq, on what the Bush team builds in Iraq. If we build it, they will come around - I hope.

Tom, Britain, Australia, and numerous other countries are assisting us. Are alot of countries supplying troops? No, but only the Brits and Aussies have a military that is even remotely close to ours technologically. The other countries would at best slow us down , and at worst be dangerous. Tom currently has a dialogue going with Andrew Sullivan that is interesting.


No comments: