Friday, January 04, 2008

Andrew Olmsted Killed in Iraq

Sphere: Related Content

Blogger Andrew Olmsted died in Iraq and today his self-written obituary was posted on his site. I want you to please read it all. I post a small excerpt:

What I don't want this to be is a chance for me, or anyone else, to be maudlin. I'm dead. That sucks, at least for me and my family and friends. But all the tears in the world aren't going to bring me back, so I would prefer that people remember the good things about me rather than mourning my loss. (If it turns out a specific number of tears will, in fact, bring me back to life, then by all means, break out the onions.) I had a pretty good life, as I noted above. Sure, all things being equal I would have preferred to have more time, but I have no business complaining with all the good fortune I've enjoyed in my life. So if you're up for that, put on a little 80s music (preferably vintage 1980-1984), grab a Coke and have a drink with me. If you have it, throw 'Freedom Isn't Free' from the Team America soundtrack in; if you can't laugh at that song, I think you need to lighten up a little. I'm dead, but if you're reading this, you're not, so take a moment to enjoy that happy fact.
Rest in peace my friend and thank you for serving our country. To his parents and family I hope his words are of some small comfort and I'll say a prayer for him and you.

Please, please read it all.

Update: More on Major Olmsted.

No comments: