Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Is There Anything My 9-Year Old Daughter Can Watch?

Sphere: Related Content

News breaks today that Britney Spears younger sister is pregnant and plans on keeping the baby. Jamie Lynn Spears is only sixteen years old.

Here's my problem, Spears star on the the Nickelodeon show Zoey 101 about a girl who lives at an exclusive school. My daughter loves that show and to be honest, it's a clean, wholesome show. I prefer the Disney Channel and shows like Hannah Montana to Nick, which has gotten more risque though.

That said, what do I tell my daughter when she asks me about Spears being pregnant? On the show, Spear character is supposed to be fourteen or so and that's how my daughter views her. Short of shutting off every computer, TV radio in the house, she's going to hear about it and she's going to think about it.

Where are we when a sixteen year old girl gets pregnant and we don't even bat an eye? No 16-year old is ready to be a parent, I don't care how mature they are.

Every single fresh young star who attracts a loyal following of kids turns into a friggin' skank within a few years. Thanks to the likes of Paris Hilton and the nation's fascination with her every move, notoriety is more important than fame. I'm not saying that Jamie Lynn Spears is a skank but she's well on her way being pregnant at 16.

Anyway, end rant.

No comments: