Monday, September 01, 2003

Sphere: Related Content

Why is Labor Day always used as a backdrop for speaking with union workers? Unions make up less than 40% of workers in this country, and yet always a strike or work stoppage is big news. Why not celebrate it with the real hard-workers in America, small business owners and the their employees.

These are people who go to work regardless of sickness, child-care problems, or excellent fringe benefits. They must be at work or the business will fail. They make up the largest sector of commerce in the entire US economy.

There was a time when unions were needed. Workers were treated like dogs and were paid in accordance with it. That was 100-years ago. Unions today succeed in putting employees with bad attitudes or work ethics in postions of power. "If you don't like the way I work, I'll shut down this $5-million dollar job." "If you don't hire a guy to be on stand-by to pour oil into my machine, I'll shut you down."

This is the state of unions today. I can't dig deep enough into my cold, Republican heart to feel sympathy for a guy making $28 per hour for putting the little ball on the gear shifter of my truck, claiming poverty and the need for $5 more.

No comments: