Monday, August 04, 2003

Sphere: Related Content

Senator Hollings retiring puts South Carolina in the toss-up category:

COLUMBIA, SC "With all of this attention, radio, tv and press, I'm constrained from changing my mind. I want to confirm what you have all suspected, that I will not be opting for re-election this next year. I say what you all suspected in that I indicated that last year, and we haven't had any fundraisers in this state for four years. It's not that we are quitting; we have a good year and a half worth of work.
"I'm truly worried about the country's direction. And a friend just mentioned you never hold back, but 'now you're leaving and not running, you're going to say anything and everything.'

"I said no I can tell you this categorically, we've got the weakest president and weakest government in the history of my 50 years of public service. I say weak president in that the poor boy campaigns all the time and pays no attention to what's going on in the Congress. Karl Rove tells him to do this or do that or whatever it is, but he's out campaigning. And I really don't think our friend Mark Sanford likes the job. As a result the state and the country – your state, my state, our country – is headed in the wrong direction with respect to our finances.


He called Bush a "Poor Boy" . Nice smack Senator. Are you going to act as insane over the next year as Sen. Byrd has been for a decade?

No comments: